Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A VERY wet ride

I ride my bike to work. I'll ride in any weather. Rain, snow, whatever. It may not be the wisest thing to do but it keeps me awake and I get good exercise. Of late here in Colorado we've gotten a lot of rain which has made riding my bike to work all the more...interesting. Last night it started raining when I left for work so I rode eleven miles in the rain. I was wearing a raincoat but it really made no difference. Every time I would move my head rain would roll off my helmet into my face. and the closer I got to work, the harder it rained. The last intersection I rode through before I got to work was literally flooded.

I found that riding on the road was difficult because all the rain was pooling up and so riding the sidewalk was the better choice. Ironically it was the "dryer" choice. One thing about Colorado Springs is that they always keep their grass green and so the sprinklers run regardless of the weather. I'm guessing they are on timers or something. Anyway, they're usually running when I ride by and I try to avoid them as to keep from getting wet. However, on this particular night when the thought to avoid them crossed my mind I had to laugh because I was drenched and getting hit by a sprinkler wouldn't have made much difference. Thankfully I had an extra pair of clothes in my backpack. I did have to buy some shoes but other then that, I survived the night. It was a VERY wet ride and it makes for a good story. :-) Maybe someday I'll have grandkids to tell it to. Who knows? Stranger things have happened!

No comments: