Saturday, June 7, 2014

Moving On.

I was thinking last night about change of scenery.  Not landscape (although that does play a role given that if
you move the geography may change.)  but relationships.  I've moved several times over the last few years...many times actually, but, aside from my initial move out of my parents' house, only the last couple have taken me across country. 

The fact that we are even able to move across country is profound.  Two hundred years ago that thought was unheard of.    It was more exploration but it was into the unknown and you couldn't just transfer to another job in another state and expect to stay in contact with those in your community.  If you  left that was it.  I don't know how long it takes to ride twenty miles on a horse but I know it's a lot longer then it is to drive it in a car.

Today, in the Age of Technology where we are spoiled with iPhones, Facebook, and the like it is very easy to stay in touch over long distances.  Plus of course a flight from New York to Los Angeles can be done in six hours.  Our world is much smaller then it was even one hunderd years ago.

But is it really that easy to stay in touch?  Yes.  Staying "in contact" is easy.  You can visit, call, and see posts, and "follow", but anyone can do that.  That's not a real relationship.  A cry on your shoulder relationship.  We certainly don't need to have one of those or be one of those all the time but it is deeper then being Facebook friends.  I've found that while I still love and appreciate those that have been (and some still are) in my life it is still hard to maintain a good relationship even with those who I do still connect with on a regular basis just because of the distance.  We can't sit across the table from one another.  As I type that I think of another point though.  Skyping.  Interacting via web cam.  This does make it face to face and you are "across the table" from on another even though one could be in Afghanistan and the other in Michigan.  That is a good way to keep in touch.  Thank God for technology!  It is great to be able to stay in contact with those I've established friendships and family bonds with over the years.  Progress we've made in technology enables me to foster my relationships and build those friendships/family bonds even if I can only see them every couple years.

No comments: