Monday, August 15, 2011

A Faith Journey

My last week in Colorado Springs was very busy. When I started looking into this move I had been watching Kaiser Permenante's web site to see what states they were in. I saw that they were in OH and since it didn't specify an area I thought it included the entire state. Some would (and did) say that I should have looked into the insurance in more depth and to a point they are right. I think God had another plan in mind though. I believe all he wanted was for me to see that Kaiser was in Ohio because from the time that I came to the realization that God was opening the door for me to leave Colorado Springs he has been working in many ways. He was actively working to get me prepared for this move. From sermons to my devotions he was continually impressing on me the desire to make this move. I've considered myself a sort of Abraham. Imagine if you will Abraham living in the land of Ur. God has told him he wants him to move but didn't reveal where. The week Abraham leaves he goes up to the gate of the city and is talking to the guys.

"Abraham! Word around town is that you're moving. Where are you going?"

"I don't know. God hasn't told me yet."

"Okay. Do you at least know what direction you're going?"

"Nope. God hasn't told me yet. I'll get up on the day I leave and God will direct me."

I can see these guys thinking that Abraham is off his rocker. God told me he wanted me to move and with all he's done I'd be crazy to say it wasn't his will.

Everything was going well until my last week. The insurance issue rose its ugly head and threatened to nix the move. My boss was even holding a spot for me just in case it fell through. I had a hard time believing that God would have brought me through all this, working in specific ways to make this move happen, and then turn around and say "Gotcha! I was just teasing." No. He would and did work it out. i won't go though all the red tape I had to go through but I will say that when it looked like the move wasn't going to happen God came through. My last Friday I went to church on Friday night and the speaker's message was this: "Wherever you go, whatever you do, carry the name of Jesus." Then Sunday in my devotions I read about Isaiah seeing God work within the pressure of his circumstances. As I was getting ready for church on Sunday morning I kept hearing songs on the radio that reinforced the peace I have about this move.

Now as has been the case around the country (and world for that matter) there has been some pretty crazy weather. In Colorado Springs on Monday it was -14 degrees with a windchill of -44. Tuesday the Midwest was getting pounded with snow and all the flights into Minneapolis were rerouted. My flight was rescheduled for the following morning at 630. We got on the place and because it was -12 the engine didn't want to start and all the water in the plane was frozen. This caused a two-hour delay as they thawed all the pipes because as the pilot said "If the pipes burst, ice will form in the bottom of the plane and things will start to fall off." I ended up getting to Dayton about two hours after I was supposed to. But I did get here and am sitting on the couch in my apartment. I start work Monday night. The adventure continues!


No comments: