Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Beater Car Legacy: 87 Celebrity

In the Fall of 2007 one of the pastors at church sold me an 87 Celebrity in mint condition for $50. The car had actually been passed around quite a bit and was a very reliable vehicle. I think the engine had been restored and so it ran quite well. It had three owners before I came along and I was the last. I was coming home from work and it was 7:45am when I reached the top of Quincy Hill (the main route for traffic in and out of Houghton). As I came up over the top of the hill I must've been going 40 plus mph. I'm not really sure. Quincy hill doubles as M26 and in that particular spot one of the lanes is a turning lanes as well as a traveling lane. I came over the hill and there was a Dodge Neon waiting to turn left. I had just switched lanes to pass a Ford Explorer and when I saw her I had about 30 yards and all I could do was hit the brakes. Traffic was heavy coming from Calumet so I couldn't go into the oncoming lane which would've been suicide anyway. I backed up 119 cars between Calumet and Hancock (a 12 mile distance) all I could do was hit the brakes. I totalled both vehicles. If you're wondering, a Dodge Neon doesn't react too well to being slammed into by an 80 anything car. My car actually had the neon's trunk in its grill!   Sadly though, the car was no more. In reality, I should be dead. God really must have something special for me given the amount of times over the years I've come close to losing my life. It'll be amazing to see what He has in store!

No comments: