Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thoughts

It's been surreal watching the wildfires in Colorado Springs knowing that I was living in one of the zones that was evacuated. I'm hoping and praying my brother's house makes it through.  It makes me stop and think about where we place the importance of things and how in a second they could be gone.  There certainly was no way for Joel to know a fire was coming so he could get make sure everything important was out. 

It's been rough for me being in OH while all this is going on as I have a lot of good friends out there.   I was there for 3.5 years leaving there was the hardest move I had to make.  It was all in God's divine plan but it has caused me to step back and really take a second look from another perspective at my time there.  

In watching some of the coverage I realized that I really do miss the area as much as the people.  I think that can speak to the culture of a city or community.  My main goal going  in was to establish relationships.  That's what I did.  But as I watched the coverage I realized that if you stay somewhere long enough, whether you want to or not, you plant roots.  It really hurt to watch the coverage but at the same time, almost as if I was the hospital with a loved one, I wanted to make sure they were all right.  It's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster over the last few days (and I'm in OH).  But I am thankful that as of yet no lives have been lost and the damage that has been done is not necessarily permanent  It'll be awesome to see how Colorado Springs and the surrounding communities rally to rebuild.  Keep praying!

No comments: